BUKS Journal of Child and Youth Cultures, vol. 69/2024
Children are actors and constructors of cultures in their social participation and play. Nordic childhood is often referred to as an ideal one in this regard. However, recognizing the complexities of our world today, there is a need for reconceptualising children and child culture across boundaries and landscapes. In these landscapes, established boundaries and dichotomized oppositions between children’s agency and childhoods as social constructions, children as being and becoming, play and learning, leisure and education, protection, and freedom, need to be challenged. At the BIN-Norden Conference in May 2023 it will be explored through discussions how to understand and approach such challenges when facilitating children’s free time, education and entertainment.
In this issue of BUKS – Journal of Child and Youth Cultures, we invite researchers, artists, and practitioners to continue the discussions initiated at the conference. The journal has always been a vibrant meeting place for the actual discussions on children’s cultures, art and explorations and will continue to do so. In this issue, we want to do this through describing and analysing examples and formulating explorative and as well as critical perspectives on the possibilities and challenges when approaching and supporting child cultures in society and education.
Your contribution can be peer-reviewed or not depending on your choosing. It can contain images, links and drawings as an important part of the text. Visual and other creative content in the text is very welcome, but please indicate about the specific content when you submit your abstract. An example could be a photo series of creative and explorative activities among children and adults. The text can be delivered in English, Danish, Swedish or Norwegian. Please be aware that you, as a contributor, are expected to provide professional proofreading yourself. The written text is max. 5000 words plus references and a biography of no more than 200 words.
- Send an abstract of max. 600 words on the 1st of June 2023 to the mail below and note if you want it peer-reviewed and if you intend to use images, etc.: Helle Hovgaard Jørgensen, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Acceptance or rejection 30th of June 2023
- Deadline for manuscript submission 30th of November 2023
- You send your finish text 28th of October 2023
- You send the text to https://tidsskrift.dk/buks and follow the instructions here.
- Deadline for peer-review 28th of February 2024
- Deadline for the author’s revision of the article 2nd of June 2024
- Deadline for editorial remarks and minor changes 1st of August 2024
- Expected release 15th of August 2024
- Webinar together with BIN-Norden with keynotes 15th of August 2024
Formalities regarding your article:
- Your bibliography does not count towards the 5000 words.
- The biography is indeed an author biography, limited to a maximum of 200 words. It also does not count towards the 5000 words.
- The abstract itself should be up to 200 words and does not count towards the 5000 words. The abstract is written in the same language as the rest of the article.
- Provide 4-6 keywords.